Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Belief - The Snowball Analogy


To me belief is likened to a softball sized ball of snow sent rolling down a snow covered hill. As it descends, it gathers to itself more and more sticky white snow; increasing its mass and speed with each passing moment until the slope merges into the valley below, slows and comes to a stop.

I came to the understanding that the moment I accepted a concept I no longer questioned its validity. It became a regular participant within the arena of my thoughts.

Also, I have observed that there is a danger in believing concepts in that over time its core becomes less visible and I lose sight of what it was that I first concidered. If I just accept a concept without instituting some kind of condition, it would take off on me (imaginably) until it met its logical and ultimate end (for good or bad).

I have found a way in which one can believe something and be able to consider it. I think of it as a condition of acceptance. The benefit is that the snow ball never leaves the top of the hill and its core and content are never really beyond my grasp.I guess then the danger is not in the believing but in the implied determination not to consider it again.

The image above and the analogy I constructed in 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment